Weight loss tips from Personal Trainers
You can browse the internet for weight loss tips and get lost for hours. The trick is knowing where to start. We asked PureGym Personal Trainers (PTs) and PureGym Insiders to share their top weight loss tips below.
"Write your goal down in lots of detail so you have a clear picture of what it is that you want to achieve. Then if you think it will help you, make a mood board of your goals, or put reminders around the house where they will be seen often." - @jakepuregym
Energy in vs Energy out
Energy balance is key. To lose weight your body needs to be in a calorie deficit. This means burning more energy than you're consuming. This can be achieved by lowering your calories and/or moving more. It's about finding the right balance that is both right for you and suited towards your goals." - @skypuregym
"Often losing weight is commonly associated with restricting yourself from food groups in order to reap results but it doesn't have to be that way. Chances are, if you restrict yourself too much, you can end up craving and eating more. Instead, think of the 80/20 rule: Eat 80% wholesome foods and for the remaining 20% treat foods! Enjoying foods that aren't nutrient dense is okay every now and then and probably more sustainable to stick to in the long run." - @marnipuregym
Do what you enjoy
"Exercising doesn't have to be a chore, it can and should be fun. Find an activity that gets you active that you enjoy - whether it's going for a walk, playing a sport, going to fitness classes, can make it a lot easier to stick to your exercise routine in the long term, so you can lose weight and keep it off." - @peterpuregym
Focus on quality, not quantity
"Take it easy. Instead of thinking you have to overhaul your diet and training on Day 1, instead think about the small changes you can make and stick to."
"Find a couple of small things you can realistically stick to, for example walking 10 minutes in your lunch break, eating wholemeal bread instead of white bread, or sleeping half an hour earlier than you would normally to get enough rest and sleep."
"When it comes to training, focus on getting quality reps in your workouts. It's better to perform fewer reps with good form than high reps that aren't well executed." - @kaypuregym
For beginner workout ideas check out our free workouts guide.