PureGym Summer Sessions: The Pure Beach Workout
When you're away on a beach holiday, finding the motivation to workout in the hotel gym isn't easy - especially when there's a gorgeous beach of golden sand and refreshing blue sea tempting you outside!
You don't have to give your fitness a holiday just because you're on one though. We've come up with a quick beach workout that will help keep your fitness ticking over and get you a healthy glow at the same time.
If you've never worked out on sand before you're in for a treat as the benefits are pretty impressive:
- Your body has to work harder on the uneven surface, which helps build your strength and coordination.
- As your body is working harder, you'll burn more calories during and after your workout.
- Sand is much kinder on your joints as it absorbs and cushions the force you apply to it.
And let's not forget you'll also be enjoying fresh air and a beautiful view. Ready to get started?
The Pure Beach Workout
The Pure Beach Workout should take between 20 and 25 minutes. Before you start, warm-up by jogging on the spot for 3-5 minutes. This will help get your heart pumping, increase circulation, loosen your joints, stretch your muscles and, most importantly, decrease the likelihood of injury. Keep it to a gentle jog though, you'll want to save your energy for the main workout!
Once you've warmed up, perform the following exercises one after the other with no rest in between. Repeat the circuit three times.
- Side shuffles x 5 seconds each side
Lower into a half squat position with your hands in front of you. Facing forwards, shuffle your feet to the right for five seconds, then shuffle to the left for five seconds. This is an effective routine for burning calories and toning your leg muscles.
- Broad jumps and shuffle back x 6 reps
Start in a squat position and jump forwards as far as you can, swinging your arms towards the sky as you jump. Run backwards taking short, quick steps to the start position and repeat six times. The combined running and jumping on sand will help test your core and leg muscles and your speed and agility.
- Walk outs x 5 reps
With your feet hip-width apart, bend forward until your hands are on the floor. Walk your hands forward until your hands are slightly in front of your head. Hold, then walk back and return to start position. Repeat six times. A great exercise for your abs, arms, shoulders and back.
- Squat jumps x 12 reps
With your feet shoulder-width apart, lower into a squat then jump explosively upwards raising your arms to the sky. As you land, drop into the squat position and repeat 12 times. Your quads and hamstrings will both benefit from this great exercise.
- Hot feet x 1 minute
Simply alternate steps on the balls of your feet as fast as you can for one minute. Just imagine you're standing on hot sand, hopping from foot to foot. Actually, you might not have to imagine it if you're doing this on holiday! This great aerobic exercise will improve your cardio fitness, speed and agility.
- Plank x 1 minute hold
Get into a press-up position then lower yourself onto your forearms and toes. Keep your core tight as you hold for one minute. This exercise will work wonders for your core, back, arms and legs.
Once you've finished, be sure to stretch it out and shake it off with these quick stretches. Remember to breathe deeply while holding each stretch for about 10 seconds.
- Tricep stretch: lower your right arm behind your head and pull down on your elbow with your left hand. Repeat with the other arm.
- Shoulder stretch: reach your right arm across your body and pull the arm towards you with your left hand. Repeat with the other arm.
- Chest stretch: put both hands together behind your back and pull them away from your body
- Thigh stretch: keeping your knees together, bend your right leg behind you and hold your ankle so it rests against your bum. Repeat with the other leg.
Don't forget to enjoy the view!