Low Fat Chicken Alfredo Recipe
There’s nothing more comforting than a creamy bowl of chicken alfredo pasta, but if you’re trying to eat less fat, this classic Italian dish can seem off limits.
Our low-fat chicken alfredo recipe is a healthy take on this pasta dish with only 324 calories and 5g fat per serving. We’ve swapped out the butter and double cream for chicken stock, garlic, milk, and parmesan for a sauce that is still rich, creamy, and full of flavour, with only a fraction of the calories and fat than restaurant recipes.
It’s also easy to make and only takes only 20 minutes from prep to plate - so it’s a great option for a healthy dinner when you’re short for time but still want a wholesome meal.
This recipe is high in protein to keep you full, but if you want to bulk up the servings without loading up on pasta and carbs, add some season vegetables to the dish. Peas, broccoli, roast tomatoes, and mushrooms are all great additions to our low-fat chicken alfredo dish.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 200g chicken breast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 120ml chicken stock
- 120ml semi skimmed milk
- 150g linguine pasta
- 40g spinach
- 10g parmesan
- 1 tbsp flour
- Garlic low-calorie oil spray
- Fresh basil (to serve)
- Salt and pepper
Season and cook the chicken:
- Spray a frying pan with garlic low-calorie oil spray and add the chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper (to taste).
- Cook the chicken for 5 – 6 minutes on each side until it’s cook through.
- Once there is no pink meat, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside to rest.
Cook the pasta:
- Once the chicken has been put in the pan, bring a pan of water up to the boil and cook the linguine pasta as per the directions on the packet until al-dente (the pasta is firm to bite, but not too soft).
Make the alfredo sauce:
- In the pan used to cook chicken, add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute over medium heat.
- Start to sprinkle the flour over the garlic and slowly add in the chicken stock, stirring continually to avoid lumps.
- Next, add milk gradually, stir and then allow to boil to thicken the sauce.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the spinach and stir until wilted.
Combine everything and serve:
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add in the cooked pasta.
- Slice the chicken and add to the dish.
- Top with parmesan and fresh basil.
Looking for more healthy pasta recipes? Whether it’s spaghetti, penne, tortellini – we love all kinds of pasta, and our healthy recipes mean pasta can be on the menu every day! Want a recipe to make meal prep easier, try our meatball pasta bake. Or if you’re looking to get more greens in your diet, give our super green chicken pesto pasta a go.